In this article: About dynamic links | Usage examples | Dynamic links structure | How to set up dynamic links using If-so
What are dynamic links?
Dynamic Links, or, dynamic URLs, are an amazing and powerful tool. They are a short addition to web pages URL, that allows you to customize the page to visitors arriving at your site by clicking them. Customization can include replacing some of the page content or adding an additional one.
How can your site benefit from dynamic links? Examples:
- Show special promotions to visitors arriving from specific websites or ads.
- Boost results of CPC campaigns (Google Adwords, Facebook ads, and others) Read more.
- Show unique content to visitors arriving from email marketing and newsletter.
- Dramatically improve responses from cold emails – amaze the email recipients by showing them a personalized message that can’t be ignored.
- Measure marketing channels effectiveness – display different phone number or contact form to track the results of visitors arriving from a given link or an ad.
Structure of Dynamic Links
Dynamic links are created using query-strings, a set of characters added at the end of the URL.
A typical URL containing a query string is as follows:
As you can see, the Dynamic URL is composed of (1)the static URL of the page- http://example.com/page, and (2)the query string- ?name=string.
Which content can be customized using dynamic links?
Same as on all If-So’s dynamic triggers, any content of the website can be customized. That includes titles, texts, images, calls to action, and buttons.
Dynamic links can be used with If-So’s recurrence option. The recurrence option lets you decide what content version when a visitor that arrived via the dynamic link will see in his next visit on the page.
Click here to read more about recurrence.
How to set up dynamic links using If-So
- On your WordPress dashboard, go to “If-So → Add New Trigger”
- Click on “Select a condition” and select “Dynamic Link“.
- Type in a query string name. It can be a word, phrase, or one letter.
- In the content field, set the content to be displayed if visitors arrive via the dynamic link
- In the default content field, set content to be displayed if the condition is not met (optional, can be left blank).
- Press “Publish” and paste the shortcode generated by If-So on your website.